First international training school on Convective and volcanic clouds detection, monitoring and modeling (4-9 October 2015)
Convective and volcanic clouds detecting, monitoring and modeling
Castiglione del Lago, Italy, 4-9 October 2015
Attending the school you will get an overview of the state of the art techniques and methods for detecting and monitoring the volcanic and convective clouds, you will know the different instruments and platforms allowing us to get the best performance in detecting such kind of clouds, you will be projected to the future learning about new missions planned for solving the main issues on these fields, you will be involved in real applications as early warming systems and modeling, you will directly analize the data.
The school topics will range from satellite instruments such as IR sensors or GPS radio occultations toaircraft measuremtents like lidar and radar, from study of ash and SO2 clouds to tropical cyclones,mediterranean hurricanes, land and maritime convection.
The purpose of the School is to train students with outstanding research interest in the techniques allowing to detect, monitor, and model convective and volcanic clouds, to gain knowledge of the instruments and satellite missions (present and future) and to be able to support such kind of studies.
The extreme atmospheric event cloud detection is a high multidisciplinary and challenging topic since the same techniques and instruments can be used for meteorology, volcanic monitoring, atmospheric physics and climate purposes. Within all these fields there are still many unsolved issues making this school fundamental for creating a new generation of scientists able to use the synergy of several different instruments and techniques.
Each topic includes keynote plenary lectures with in-depth discussion. The school will consist of lectures combined with the practical application of the material covered in the lectures through introductory lab sessions and a set of research problems that will form the core of the School.
Through the introductory keynotes invited lectures, the students will be introduced to all the issues and challenges of the convective and volcanic cloud detection, monitoring and modeling, gaining an overview of the state of the art and the future development.
All the participants are expected to give a short talk or to present a poster about their own research; the selection of the talks will be done through evaluation process as in a regular conference.
The students will leave the school with an increased understanding of the cutting-edge research questions and with the perspective of creating some future projects in this field also thanks to the network created during the school with the lecturers and other students
The School is open to graduate students, PhD students and early career researchers.
Pre-registration is appreciated since there will be a limited space available.
Pre-registration deadline: March 15, 2015
Registration form available from: March 15, 2015
Grant evaluation deadline: May 15, 2015
Applications deadline: July 15, 2015
- The school registration fee is 330€ including coffee breaks and teaching material.
- Hotel accommodation available form 130€ for the whole period.
- 15 grants offered by European Geosciences Union are available, covering the registration fee.
- Full board registration fee 630-700€, thanks to the agreement with the local hotels and restaurants we can offer a full board discounted arrangement depending on the accommodation (sharing room or single room), including accommodation in 3* hotel, breakfasts, lunches, dinners, coffee breaks, teaching material and excursion.
Excursions and fun-night
- Guided visit to the medieval Palazzo della Corgna and the castle of Castiglione del Lago (about 2h)
- Ice cream night
- Fun-run on the lungolago
- Possible tour on saturday (10 October) on the Lake visiting the islands and having lunch in the most typical restaurant of the area making the popular "torta al testo". This tour requires an additional fee and will be organized just if we reach a critical number of participants.
Castiglione del Lago (Italy), medieval town located on a peninsula on the coast of Trasimeno Lake, mid-way between Rome and Florence and easily reachable by train and by car from both cities.